What was the last movie you saw?

SUPERFLY 1972 - Wanted to get in a viewing of at least one other blaxploitation film before I got to the main event. This was was perhaps the third most famous after Shaft, although due to the subject matter (following a cocaine dealer's efforts to get out of the business) it has one of the more notorious reputations. It's well made, you can't fault it for execution (and it sure makes much of New York look really depressing and run down), just the questionable content in focus since there were so few movies made by or for black audiences. It's glamorous, it's exciting, but there's a valid point to the concentration on criminality that you do find in many of these films of the time.

BLACULA 1972 -- Released 50 years ago today. This is the quintessential blaxploitation film. It literally by its title is demonstrating the sensational advertising approach, selling the "black angle" to the story. But it would really be doing it an injustice to dismiss it as merely a quick and cheap diversified version of Dracula because it has many innovations for a vampire horror film that would influence others. It has a 5.7 rating on IMDB which I think is too low. Other blaxploitation films didn't really do anything new when it came to gun fights or action scenes. But this does strike new ground with vampire concepts.

For one thing, it does generate serious creepy moments, and for a tired genre like vampires, and it was getting tired by 1972 which was a big year for bloodsuckers (the Night Stalker, Vampire Circus, Dracula AD 1972) that's a major achievement in itself. The title sequence is artistic--with the blood drop and the vampire bat running through a psychedelic maze. The sequence with Dracula (Charles Macaulay) is a little rough around the edges but they needed a way to explain how an African prince would become a vampire. This creates the most awkward dramatic scene where Mamuwalde (William Marshall) tells Tina, the reincarnation of his wife, that he was from Africa, and he went to Europe to fight the slave trade and his host was Dracula. Poor Vonette McKee has an even worse task than Marshall because she has to react to all this information overload. It's fantastical and yet, what can she do but just stare in a trance almost and make a weak display of disbelief.
Usually Marshall gets all the praise, and the film would probably have sunk without him, but the other major character is the Van Helsing part--Dr. Thomas (Thalmus Rasulala) who is very unusual for a vampire film of the time. He gets to attack a vampire or two with a stake and physical combat. There are not that many vampire films I can think of where that happens. Peter Cushing does it once or twice, and David Warbeck hurdles a spear at a vampire in one movie, but usually they just bring out the cross and the sun. And his reaction to Mamuwalde is one of distrust and hostility--and the banter between them about vampires is a great section because it shows that they each are passionately locked into their views. Other vampire movies with similar scenes--with Dracula talking to Van Helsing--usually VH is a much older or weaker man. Not physically matched like it is here.

The thing that really stands out in this film is the, no pun intended, the high stakes of it. Mamuwalde has a good reason to be seeking Tina (contrived as it is, I think it works much better than in Mummy films or other vampires films that use this trope), and Dr. Thomas and friends have good reasons to be concerned about it. The staking scene at the end is one of the most horrifying that I can think of. It's horrific due to the emotional reaction of characters to their surprise at who is in the coffin.
Maybe it generates some laughs because of the makeup (though the vampire look in this is unique creepy) but that's another thing which is very skillfully handled in the film--humor. And I don't mean the overt references to sexual orientation--but little jokes that they bring into it which I think works to prevent the audience from laughing when they aren't suppose to. And this story could easily have fallen into joke status.

The scene in the morgue is a very effective vampire attack. I think Salem's Lot was influenced by it. The attack on the photographer and the arrival of Barnes the cop. Those are very creepy moments.
This is also I think, the best of the AIP vampire movies of the 70s--including the Yorga films. They aren't bad but they feel a little cheaper and less dramatically intense compared to this.

Last edited:
Dr. Strange In the Multiverse of Madness A live action comic book movie with (ultimately) a mediocre plot line.
The digital effect were as usual great but tended to be confusing in places.
The acting was O.K.
There is, apparently, a missing story line; unless the Scarlet Witch is covered in the new Thor movie (which I have not yet seen).
Fans of Disney (who now owns Marvel) may like it but I rate it, at best, as fair, seemingly aimed at preteens to teens..
I would recommend waiting until this one is released on a free streaming site. ( I subscribe to Netflix DVDs so it was a low cost movie for me. I am glad that I didn't spend the time & money to see it in a theater or on pay per view.

Overall; it looks like Disney is ruining yet another movie franchise.

Enjoy!

BLACULA 1972 -- Released 50 years ago today. This is the quintessential blaxploitation film. It literally by its title is demonstrating the sensational advertising approach, selling the "black angle" to the story. But it would really be doing it an injustice to dismiss it as merely a quick and cheap diversified version of Dracula because it has many innovations for a vampire horror film that would influence others. It has a 5.7 rating on IMDB which I think is too low. Other blaxploitation films didn't really do anything new when it came to gun fights or action scenes. But this does strike new ground with vampire concepts.

For one thing, it does generate serious creepy moments, and for a tired genre like vampires, and it was getting tired by 1972 which was a big year for bloodsuckers (the Night Stalker, Vampire Circus, Dracula AD 1972) that's a major achievement in itself. The title sequence is artistic--with the blood drop and the vampire bat running through a psychedelic maze. The sequence with Dracula (Charles Macaulay) is a little rough around the edges but they needed a way to explain how an African prince would become a vampire. This creates the most awkward dramatic scene where Mamuwalde (William Marshall) tells Tina, the reincarnation of his wife, that he was from Africa, and he went to Europe to fight the slave trade and his host was Dracula. Poor Vonette McKee has an even worse task than Marshall because she has to react to all this information overload. It's fantastical and yet, what can she do but just stare in a trance almost and make a weak display of disbelief.
Usually Marshall gets all the praise, and the film would probably have sunk without him, but the other major character is the Van Helsing part--Dr. Thomas (Thalmus Rasulala) who is very unusual for a vampire film of the time. He gets to attack a vampire or two with a stake and physical combat. There are not that many vampire films I can think of where that happens. Peter Cushing does it once or twice, and David Warbeck hurdles a spear at a vampire in one movie, but usually they just bring out the cross and the sun. And his reaction to Mamuwalde is one of distrust and hostility--and the banter between them about vampires is a great section because it shows that they each are passionately locked into their views. Other vampire movies with similar scenes--with Dracula talking to Van Helsing--usually VH is a much older or weaker man. Not physically matched like it is here.

The thing that really stands out in this film is the, no pun intended, the high stakes of it. Mamuwalde has a good reason to be seeking Tina (contrived as it is, I think it works much better than in Mummy films or other vampires films that use this trope), and Dr. Thomas and friends have good reasons to be concerned about it. The staking scene at the end is one of the most horrifying that I can think of. It's horrific due to the emotional reaction of characters to their surprise at who is in the coffin.
Maybe it generates some laughs because of the makeup (though the vampire look in this is unique creepy) but that's another thing which is very skillfully handled in the film--humor. And I don't mean the overt references to sexual orientation--but little jokes that they bring into it which I think works to prevent the audience from laughing when they aren't suppose to. And this story could easily have fallen into joke status.

The scene in the morgue is a very effective vampire attack. I think Salem's Lot was influenced by it. The attack on the photographer and the arrival of Barnes the cop. Those are very creepy moments.
This is also I think, the best of the AIP vampire movies of the 70s--including the Yorga films. They aren't bad but they feel a little cheaper and less dramatically intense compared to this.
Marshall had such a wonderful voice! He could have been the BASS MAN for any doo-wopp group. Blacula is great! Blackenstein, on the other hand--

YOJIMBO (1961) A wandering rōnin (Toshiro Mifune) comes to a town that is torn apart by two (2) rival criminal families. He quickly demonstrates his prowess by cutting down three (3) henchmen. The scene was one-upped in FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, & is shown one after the other in a documentary about CLINT EASTWOOD. :giggle: So, the rōnin decides to start a bidding competition between the two families, to get his price as high as possible.

Apparently, this role inspired John Belushi to create his own Samurai character. I was just coming of age then, so, I did not realize that SNL's character was a parody. Oh, to be young again!

Blackenstein is pretty bad but the director of Blacula also did a version of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and while it is not as good as Blacula it also comes up with some interesting horror ideas. Especially that the scientist has strong motivations to experiment and want to test his drug on someone. There's a really good scene where Bernie Casey tells a prostitute a story about how he as a child would accompany his mother to her work--cleaning hotels--and she collapsed from an illness and he was pleading with the people in the hallway to open their doors to help and none of them did. And this was a hotel used by prostitutes--he was trying to guilt-trip this woman into testing the drug. And she says: "no way! You try it!"

So he says: "ok.." and he takes the drug and it turns him into some kind of freakish albino monster and he says to her nonchalantly: "now it is your turn."

I have never seen a Jekyll and Hyde story do that. It was a suspenseful build-up to a horror moment.

AIP also made SUGAR HILL and ABBY--which was banned for allegedly being a Exorcist rip-off. I need to see it again because it had very little connection to the Exorcist that I recall. And William Marshall was in that too. Never had a DVD release.

The Searchers

Apparently it's the greatest Western of all time? It didn't seem that way to me. Considering how many movies John Wayne was in, I seem to have seen very few of them. I think the last I saw was The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and that's more of a Jimmy Stewart movie. The movie was okay, but (in my opinion) not a patch on The Unforgiven, The Good The Bad and The Ugly or the remake of True Grit. The backdrops are stunning though, with Monument Valley never looking more spectacular.

ENCHANTED ISLAND (1958) based upon Herman Melville's Typee, which I read on a CD of literature bought from BEST BUY. I could do a text search on the thing, and being a sicko I searched for 'cannibal,' among other things. I was at least 15 years ago, when I read the book, on a tiny 17 inch computer monitor.

So, sailors on a ship that has stopped at a certain tropical island are discontent with the situation, not having had shore leave for a very long time, etc., & some decide it would be better to mutiny & just leave. But, this means the crew is lacking those guys, & the captain does not like that, not one little bit. He warns those so-inclined that cannibal inhabit the island, but two take the risk anyway. Abner Bedford (Dana Andrews) has adventures among the Typees, etc. He meets Fayaway (Jane Powell) & they fall in love, despite the language barrier.

Running with the Devil: The Wild World of John McAfee - A Netflix documentary about the troubled inventor of the Antivirus software company. It follows McAfee in his final days after he goes on the run to escape a murder charge in Belize. One thing becomes clear quite early - McAfee was a raging Narcissist and quite how anyone can idolise this hot mess of a person is beyond me.

McAfee certainly did live an extraordinary wild life, but as he runs afoul of the US government the threads of his personality begin to unravel and he gets lost at sea with nothing but a large number of automatic weapons and meth salts for company. It's no surprise they turn him into a paranoid lunatic. If there was any doubt he was capable of murder, the last quarter of the doc wipes that away.

For a documentary that spends so much time at the centre of so much action, it shows surprisingly little, there is very little candid footage. Most of it is in the form of interviews, speculation or stills.

I can't really say I felt invested in McAfee's exploits or the man himself. It is interesting but the telling is lacking. I came away from it feeling a little grubby too, having spent time with a flawed, but undeniably intelligent man.

The Brides of Dracula - 1960 Hammer nonsense with a thinner than usual script, and an underwhelming villain but some wonderfully OTT performances, terrific lighting (gorgeous Technicolor!), and the fascinatingly beautiful Adree Melly:
andree-melly-photo_102574_11872.jpg

Not a bad way to spend 85 minutes.

She was a real beauty . She passed away not too long ago.

The Searchers

Apparently it's the greatest Western of all time? It didn't seem that way to me. Considering how many movies John Wayne was in, I seem to have seen very few of them. I think the last I saw was The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and that's more of a Jimmy Stewart movie. The movie was okay, but (in my opinion) not a patch on The Unforgiven, The Good The Bad and The Ugly or the remake of True Grit. The backdrops are stunning though, with Monument Valley never looking more spectacular.
I'm with you. I don't get why it gets the praise it does. I can see that it was a move away from the more romanticised Westerns to a more psychological view of that world [which I feel Jimmy Stewart did better in films like Bend of the River?]. But the acting isn't the best, the plot is no better. As you say it does look good. It's a John Ford film, they all look great. He's right up there with Ridley Scott for making great-looking films. I watch the Cavalry Trilogy to try and spot the Remington and Russel painting Ford has sneaked in.

Handgun - 1983 - Pretty obscure revenge film about an emotionally delicate teacher from Boston who moves to Texas and is introduced to the gun culture by a lawyer who gets tired of her reluctance and rapes her by threats of killing her and making it look like an accidental handgun fatality. She seeks legal and religious remedies and when that fails turns to becoming a handgun expert herself with a certain goal in mind. It starts off as a documentary-style film and the lead performance is so intensely realistic--I thought it would end up being a straight drama-but then it veers into familiar territory. The ending amounts to being hoisted by your own petard, it's different from the way these films usually go. The lead performance is so good that it makes it a fascinating character journey.

The Grand Budapest Hotel
This is a quirky and unique movie. Every movie buff should watch it. Not just for the plot and the big names but also for the cinematography a feast of symmetry . Some shot compositions are just classic.
One of the few movies I can watch several times (Spaghetti westerns and 2001 being the others)

WESTWORLD (1973) I recall posting this a few years ago, & since then, I have found one (1) newly noticed item. The Black knight, as he was going off script, & was out to kill the guest, called him a VARLET. But the captions said "BLACK KNIGHT: hello [inaudible]." :giggle:

Last edited:
The Searchers

Apparently it's the greatest Western of all time?
I haven't seen it.
I have finally watched a few John Wayne westerns.
Mixed bag for me.
I notice he cannot be the lead in a movie without ensemble support. He's not compelling enough as a lead by himself--at least that seems to be how he did a number of movies. He's never the main attraction--the supporting players have a lot of importance--unlike a Clint Eastwood or James Garner film.
I wasn't greatly impressed by Rio Bravo.
I think Stagecoach is maybe the best American western I have seen--though I am not a big fan of westerns in general--I prefer euro-westerns, but those are exotic interpretations, if I was American I would not consider them authentic, but Hollywood ones aren't necessarily any more real or genuine either.
The scene in Stagecoach with the men surrounding the baby is a great symbolic visual for the message of the story--that a variety of hard men (and women) made the US society in which the vulnerable can survive.
It is progressive for its time because it suggests an outlaw and a prostitute were major players in the foundation of America but that's the subversive glamor element to it.

The Orphan: First Kill (2022): A prequel to The Orphan (2009). I prefer the first in the series. It was basically evil vs. evil, and that kind of bores me. Also, there really are no stakes because this is before the titular murderess was killed. I don't like prequels in general, though.

The Show (2020): A film written by Alan Moore. I waited quite a while for this to hit the States. This movie is as brilliant as it is bizarre. I enjoyed it, but, as with many mysteries, my dull brain couldn't catch up. A P.I. tracks down a mystical necklace. There's your MacGuffin. Recommended for more intelligent people.

& now, for something completely different:

THE RED BALLOON (1956) As I recall, I 1st saw this in school; this & THE POINT. I get the point of THE POINT, but I do not understand what was the point of THE RED BALLOON. It apparently won various awards & such, & while I do find it interesting (but not fascinating), I don't get it. After reading the wiki page, o.k., that simply did not occur to me. :confused:
View attachment 92460
That kid will die, if he loses his grip on those strings!

So, this little boy finds a balloon whose string is entangled on a lamppost. He frees it, and having found a new toy, soon realizes it is alive, & obeys him. Cute. The older boys want to pop it, & when they do, all the other balloons in town forsake their owners, & flock to this boy.
I had the photo book of this when I was little. It is really just a simple story of friendship and childhood magic. Touching but not deep. Interesting for film of 1950s France.

Last edited:
I saw Nope (2022) Latest movie by Jordan Peele. I liked it. Here's some thoughts:
  • I enjoyed it much more than his last movie (Us) but not as much as (Get Out).
  • Main actor Daniel Kaluuya is a great actor and steals the show.
  • Not really a horror movie, but had some genuinely horrifying scenes. Felt more fun/adventury. The plot had a lot of entertaining turns, and was a very fresh take on a UFO movie.
  • The design of the UFO was very interesting and creative.
  • Some of the themes and intentions felt a bit vague. Feels like I need to watch it again to pick up on everything.